7 September 2011

Welcome to Have Pen - Will Edit

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This little corner of the internet doubles up as both a blog about writing and an editorial consultancy. I will be blogging about my writing and giving my tips for other aspiring writers. I will also be blogging about the random events of my life, silly things I find on the internet, my favourite blogs, reviews of my favourite books, and a plethora of interesting titbits.

The editorial side is a free service to fiction writers who may be wary of all the scams going on in the literary world. I was once stung by an editorial consultancy. I paid a few hundred pounds to a manuscript appraisal service. Their 1 month turnaround time came and went, I emailed for an update. No reply. I emailed again. No reply. I phoned, no answer. I then received, close to three months after submission, a two paragraph copy-and-paste 'critique' which basically said that this and that needed improvement but did not offer suggestions. The 'critique' was also clearly targeted towards a crime fiction (I think the words 'police' and 'forensic' were used) when I was sending them a YA Fantasy novel.

I read a lot of blogs and forums online and it is clear that aspiring writers are a cautious lot who can be reluctant to hand over their cash for a few lines of opinion and a few spelling corrections. I will do the same job as an editorial consultancy but I will do it for free. I have a few reasons for this, mainly it's a way for me to gain invaluable editorial experience. I'm not going to say I'm offering a free service which will eat up a good chunk of my spare time out of the goodness of my heart. I want something out of it as well and I want the experience.

So there you go, that's me. If you'd like more information, please check out Editing and Submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment